TotalEnergies EP South Africa Block 567 (Pty) Ltd (“TEEPSA”) has applied to the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) for Environmental Authorisation (EA) to undertake exploration well drilling in Block 5/6/7 off the South-West Coast of South Africa. The Area of Interest is located offshore roughly between Cape Town and Cape Agulhas, approximately 60 km from the coast at its closest point in water depths between 700 m and 3 200 m.
SLR Consulting (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd (“SLR”) has been appointed as the Independent Environmental Assessment Practitioner to undertake the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) process for the proposed project. The ESIA process presents several opportunities for public comment, namely the Scoping Phase and Impact Assessment Phase. The ESIA is currently in the Scoping Phase .This provides an opportunity for Interested and Affected Parties (I&APs) to comment on any aspect of the proposed project and the potential impacts identified for further investigation in the Assessment Phase.
The draft Scoping Report is available for a 30-day review and comment period from 20 May to 20 June 2022. Comments on the draft Scoping Report should reach SLR by no later than 20 June 2022.
Telephone: SMS / WhatsApp: 063 900 5536
Copies of the full report and Non-technical Summary are available at the following locations for the duration of the comment period:
- SLR website (https://www.slrconsulting.com/en/public-documents/TEEPSA-567).
- Data free website (https://slrpublicdocs.datafree.co/en/public-documents/TEEPSA-567), which is accessible from an internet-capable mobile phone without data charges.
- Locations presented in Table 2 below
The Non-technical Summary is also available on the above-mentioned websites as an audio recording. Both the non-technical summary document and audio recording are available in English, Afrikaans and isiXhosa.
The EA application has been made in terms of the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations 2014 (as amended), promulgated in terms of the National Environmental Management Act, 1998 (No. 107 of 1998) (as amended), as the proposed project triggers the following listed activities:
- Listing Notice 1 (R.983 of 2014 as amended): 14, 17, 19A.
- Listing Notice 2 (R.984 of 2014 as amended): 4, 6, 7, 14, 18.
INVITATION TO ATTEND PUBLIC MEETINGS
All stakeholders are invited to attend the public meetings listed in Table 2 below. The objectives of the Scoping Phase public meetings are as follows:
- To share information about the proposed project, ESIA and public participation process, including the proposed specialist studies to be undertaken during the Impact Assessment Phase.
- For I&APs to ask questions, raise issues of concern, contribute comments about the proposed project, and assist with the identification of issues to be considered during the ESIA; and
- For I&APs to comment on the draft Scoping Report and specialist studies to be undertaken during the impact assessment phase.
TABLE1: PUBLIC MEETINGS
REGISTRATION FOR PUBLIC MEETINGS
Please click here to complete the required form to register to attend these public meetings.
Please register by no later than Monday, 30 May 2022.